1 in 5 British Columbians are affected by lung disease or a breathing condition.
• Asthma affects as much as 10% of children and adults.
• COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) makes breathing difficult for another 6% of people aged 45 or older.
• Sleep Apnea affects quality of life and increases risk of serious chronic disease in another 2 to 4% of Canadians.
• Thousands are diagnosed every year with deadly Lung Cancer.
• Hundreds more are afflicted by Pulmonary Fibrosis (or other debilitating forms of Interstitial Lung Disease).
• Add to that those born with the genetic, life-shortening condition Cystic Fibrosis.
• And not overlook the thousands impacted by infectious diseases such as Influenza and Pneumonia or worse - increasingly antibiotic-resistant Tuberculosis bacteria.
• Finally, consider air pollution and its negative impact on everyone’s health.
The BC Lung Association was established a century ago to help fight TB. We were amongst the first to tackle smoking, and to make the connection between air pollution and lung health. Today, with your help, we continue the fight. We support and advocate for the 1 in 5 affected by lung disease. We fund vital lung health research. We educate British Columbians on safeguarding their own lung health, and we fight for policies that protect clean air.